Snapchat has been rolling out updates left and right over the last few days, and our heads are spinning! Nearly 158 million Snapchat users will soon notice not one, but two updates to the social media platform. Let’s take a snap at the latest Mobile Geofilter update and the introduction of Creative Tools!
It’s been a year and a half since Snapchat debuted their Geofilter feature, which allows users to add a fun location tag as they snap. The usability of geofilters has expanded since the initial introduction, and it’s common to see filters for sponsored events, holidays, birthday and graduation celebrations, and days of the week. Snapchat gave users the ability to create their own filter exclusively on the Snapchat website, but the latest mobile update is changing up the design game.
Drum roll, please… Snapchat has introduced pre-designed stock templates! Wait, isn’t that already a thing? Yes, but you can now create your own On-Demand geofilters in the app itself. Here’s how:
- From the home screen, swipe down and click on the settings (gear symbol) in the upper right hand corner. Next, tap on “On-Demand Geofilters” followed by the green “Continue” button to begin the design process.
- To begin your geofilter design, Snapchat will ask what type of occasion you’re celebrating. Under “What’s the Occasion?”, choose from a variety of themed templates. Next, choose a filter design and begin personalizing it with color schemes, names, dates, and fun sayings!
Now that your designing process is underway, here are a few things to remember before submitting your pre-designed filter to Snapchat:
- The geofilter templates are just ideas – you can still build your own filter on the Snapchat website for a unique look
- If you decide to build a filter from scratch, team up with an experienced graphic design team to personalize your brand message with additional details
- Once you have your design all laid out, it’s time to pick a location! Type out the desired destination in the search bar at the top of the screen and create a Geofence around the prefered space. Move the dots around to alter the square footage. Things to Remember:
- The base price for geofilters start at $5 and increases once you adjust the size of your of the Geofence and how long you want it to run.
- Your Geofence must be between 20,000 and 5,000,000 square feet.
- Pick the date and time you want this filter to run.
- Lastly, click the “Submit” button to place your order. Snapchat will then send a push notification to your phone asking if your order is “Ready to Review?” By clicking “Okay,” your On-Demand filter will be sent out to be reviewed.
Note: All in-app purchases will be charged on your Apple, Android or Google account.
Snapchat is the perfect platform to use if you are looking to extend your brand awareness outside of your normal Social Media scope. By placing a geofilter around your location of business, this will not only encourage users to use this filter but to introduce a potential new audience to your brand or business.
We are all about exploring new creative tools to add a little pop of life into the pictures and action videos for social media. Similar to the features Instagram stories introduced back in August of 2016, Snapchat’s Creative Tools expands a user’s ability to draw on, animate, and of course filter content with innovative features that add a pop of life and color into snaps.
There are three creative tools that have been added to the platform:
- Voice Filters – By clicking on the speaker icon at the bottom left side of your preview screen, you can now change the sound of your voice without the use of a visual augmented lense.
- Backdrops – Similar to Snapchat’s geofilters, backdrops are illustrations that can be added to the background of your snaps by using the scissor tool (which is found in the vertical toolkit).
- Paperclip – Hey small business owners and ecommerce websites… the Paperclip tool is especially cool for you. For the first time, Snapchat users are now able to directly embed an outbound website link into a snap. Yay for new ways of driving traffic!
Marketing Your Brand with Paperclip
As a group of digital marketers, we jump on any opportunity to learn about ways to not only promote brands, but to drive more traffic to a particular website for an optimized experience. Snapchat just got real with their Paperclip Creative Tool – and this is why we love it.
Whether you’re a household brand or are in the early stages of promoting your business, you can now promote your brand and link directly to your site. This allows users to link to external websites through their snaps, and we have the rundown on exactly how to do it.
- Take a snap (or upload one from your photo library) that you want to associate with the business, product, or service being promoted.
- Tap on the paperclip option in the vertical toolkit on the right hand side of your screen.
- Type in your desired website destination, followed by “Go.”
- Once the site loads, tap the blue “Attach to Snap” icon.
- Send your newly created ad to a group of Snapchat users, prospect, or add it to your story for all of your friends to see!
Users who receive your snap as a direct message or tap through your Snapchat story will have the option to swipe up and be directed towards your website.
For those business owners who are tracking their website’s visitors with Google Analytics, consider developing specific URL parameters to better understand where your website traffic is coming from. If you are unsure on how to track your website conversions, contact DragonSearch’s Social Media Marketing team of experts!
If you have any questions on how to create custom geofilters, use Snapchat’s creative tools, looking to team up with an experienced graphic designer or looking for an overall Digital Marketing strategy – Contact Us!